Heat Protectant Spray
It's important to use hair products to protect hair from heat damage when you style your hair. Heat protectors and leave in conditioners contain ingredients like shea butter or argan oil, to protect against damage caused by blow dryers, curling wands and irons. They seal in moisture, nourish and strengthen hair too!
Showing 59 of 59 results
There's no doubt about it â€“ we're in love with our curling wands, blow dryers and straighteners. But, have you ever thought about what the heat might be doing to your hair on a daily basis? Our favourite hair styling tools can do some real harm if you don't use the right products first. A heat protectant spray will coat your locks and shield them from the direct heat so you can have all of the glamour with none of the damage!
What are heat protectants for hair?
A hair heat protectant is a specially formulated product designed to be used on hair before applying heat to it. Similar to the way sunscreen protects our skin from the sun, they form a protective barrier over the hair follicles to protect them from the damage that direct heat from styling tools can do to our hair.
This heat can get up to and over 180 degrees â€“ eek! That kind of intense heat can wreck your hair in a number of ways. Firstly, it can strip your strands of its natural hair oil, leaving them dry, brittle and more prone to breakage and dreaded split ends. This is especially true for those with bleached hair.
Secondly, it can fade the colour from hair and leave it dull and without a sheen. Thirdly, regular heating of hair will weaken it over time and cause little holes to develop in the protective outer layer of the strand (known as the cuticle) which leads to uneven texture and, you guessed it â€“ more breakage!
But don't throw away your heat styling tools just yet. A high-quality thermal hair spray like the ones sold at Hairhouse can not only save your hair from disaster but leave your locks looking and feeling full, fabulous and wonderfully nourished.
Do heat protectants work?
They sure do! A thermal protector works by coating hair strands with a thin film that acts as a shield between your hair and direct heat. This shield distributes the heat more evenly so that your hair heats up gently, rather than all at once, which lessens the risk of damage. Here are some of the major benefits:
1. They lock in moisture and keep out heat by forming a barrier over the hair shaft that helps it to maintain its hydration.
2. They also moisturise your hair for a shinier, bouncier result. Many products come packed with light-weight oils and silicones, such as an argan oil heat protectant or Moroccan oil heat protectant, that works wonders for smoothing frizz and creating soft, silky hair.
3. They can be used on damp or dry hair.
4. They can speed up the drying process which means less time exposing your hair to heat.
What are the best heat protectants?
Finding the best heat protectant can be confusing as there are so many products on the market. To help you out, here's a handy guide on what to look out for:
• Silicones â€“ these little beauties are the ultimate bodyguard in your defence against heating tools. They wrap your hair cuticles safely for maximum protection, seal in moisture and distribute heat evenly.
• Anti-Frizz â€“ having trouble taming unruly locks? Choose a heat protectant spray for straightening hair that smooths frizz by locking and sealing in moisture for silky results.
• Keratin â€“ our hair is naturally made up of keratin so it makes sense to also put it into our hair products. It's made of amino acids which are essential for healthy hair growth, strength and shine. Look for a protectant with amino acids in it.
• Oilsâ€“ for healthy hair full of vitality and shine that's also super easy to manage, choose a natural heat protectant for hair that's got some oils in it such as grapeseed, almond, argon or coconut.
• Application â€“ heat products come in a range of different forms, from a heat protectant hair spray for easy, lightweight application to heat protectant serums and heat protectant creams which are great for curly hair.
• Brand â€“ choose a brand that cares about hair. Hairhouse stock all of the most trusted brands in hair care for you to purchase online or in-store, from GHD heat protection sprays to Kerastase heat protectants and evo heat protectants for a vegan option.
How to use heat protectants?
Whether you're drying, straightening, curling or waving, follow these steps to protect your hair and get soft, shiny and oh-so-enviable tresses:
1. If spraying on damp hair, towel dry hair before hair straightening, curling or drying.
2. Lightly spritz evenly through your hair, avoiding the scalp. Be careful not to spray too much as this can weigh down hair. If using a cream or serum, squeeze a small amount into your hand and rub through all sections of hair.
3. Run a comb through hair to ensure every strand is coated from top to end.
4. Use your hair styling tool on a low setting and don't spend too much time on one section to avoid damage.
How long does heat protectant last?
A heat protectant product should be applied right before you dry or style your hair for best results and maximum protection. Typically, the product will last around 4 hours and after that, you'll need to re-apply if you plan on styling your hair again to avoid potentially damaging the strands.
What should you look for in a heat protectant spray?
For the best styled and blow-dried hair, always use a quality product that will provide the best protection for your precious mane. Look for a product that suits your hair type and texture. If you have oily or thin hair, choose a spray that's light-weight and non-greasy. If your hair is dry and crying out for some hydration, pick yourself up a product that's loaded with oils to nourish and revive dull locks.
For coloured hair, always make sure you're choosing a product that is safe for chemically treated hair and will keep it looking vibrant. Tame your frizzy curls with a good cream or serum. A good thermal product will also contain silicones for sealing in moisture and amino acids for building strength and vitality.
Whatever holy grail product you need â€“ Hairhouse has got it. We stock the best heat protectant products for hair for men and women of all hair types, from curly and wavy to straight and anything in between. We've also got all the hair masks, scalp treatments, application tools and styling products you need to achieve your hair goals, as well as hair straighteners, dryers and curlers to get the look you need.
Visit us in-store now or shop our heat protectants online and enjoy free shipping for every order over $50.