Styling products like hair mousse prepare all hair types for blow drying, add texture to thin hair and help define curl in wavy hair. Applied to wet hair, volumizing mousse adds volume to fine hair and curly hair mousse reduces frizz. Coloured hair mousse is fun and hair mousse helps to sculpt and style!
All About Mousse
What is Hair Mousse?
Hair mousse is a type of styling product that can help to prepare the hair for blow-drying and styling, as well as provide a wide range of benefits, from adding volume to defining curls and enhancing shine.
It comes in the form of a thick, lightweight hair foam that is generally applied from roots to tip and combed through for even distribution. Hair mousse can work wonders for all hair types – you just need to know which one will work best for you!
Here’s a quick buying guide to help you choose the best hair mousse for your hair type:
• Best volumizing mousse for thick hair – A volumizing mousse isn’t just for fine hair. It can add even more va-va-voom to full and voluptuous hair! The Kérastase Couture Styling Mousse Bouffant amplifies your hair and gives it the strength to hold all of that extra volume throughout the day while still being lightweight and free-flowing.
• Best volumizing mousse for fine hair – The best styling mousse for fine hair is one that is lightweight and won’t weigh it down. Fat Muk Blowout Mousse by Muk is made to thicken fine hair and hold it in shape for up to 48 hours. With plenty of proteins and panthenol, it also protects and nourishes hair. Moroccanoil Volumising Mousse is a styling volumizing foam that uses Argan Oil to tame frizz add moisture while providing style memory to hold the hair in place for longer. The best natural mousse for fine hair is Alfaparf Semi Di Lino Volumizing Mousse Conditioner. With a vegan formula that’s sulphate-free, paraben-free, mineral oil-free, and paraffin-free, it will boost and thicken fine hair without weighing it down with synthetic nasties.
• Best mousse for coloured hair – The Pureology Style + Protect On the Rise Root-Lifting Mousse is a miracle-worker for those with fine coloured-treated hair. It can thicken and lift fine strands while protecting colour and preventing fade with a 100% vegan formulation. For blondes, the Schwarzkopf Professional Igora Expert line of semi-permanent coloured mousses will add shine and intensify your blonde shade for up to 8 washes. You can also prevent brassiness from ruining your day with the Color WOW Brass Banned Mousse with violet pigments to cool blonde tones and keep them fresh and vibrant.
• Best mousse for wavy hair - Perfect the effortlessly natural look with Moroccanoil Beach Wave Mousse. It can define curls and waves and give them enviable texture with a sea salt-free formula that won’t dry out your locks.
How Do You Use Hair Mousse?
Styling mousse is considered to be a bit of a wonder product as it combines multiple benefits in one formula and is also super easy to use. You can apply mousse to dry or damp hair. Here is a step-by-step guide:
For damp hair: Most types of hair mousse are best applied to towel-dried hair.
1. Start by shampooing and conditioning your hair so that it’s clean
2. Lightly dry hair with a towel
3. Apply a golf-ball sized amount of mousse into your palm and scrunch into your hair. Use a comb to distribute evenly from root to tip.
4. Use a blow dryer to activate the mousse and add unbelievable volume. Try hanging hair upside down until partially dry, then flipping back upright and using a comb or brush to lift hair at the roots while drying for best results!
For dry hair: Hair mousse that’s applied to dry hair can leave it looking matte and weighed down. However, it can be used in moderation after styling to smooth down stray hairs and set your style in place.
1. Squeeze a small amount of mousse into your hand
2. Use your fingertips to gently brush the mousse over your hair to settle flyaways and hold everything in place
Do You Apply Mousse to Wet or Dry Hair?
Most hair mousses are best applied to damp, towel-dried hair. This is because many of them require heat to activate the ingredients and add volume which will happen during blow-drying. If volume isn’t important to you, you can leave your hair to dry naturally. Hair mousse can be applied to dry hair as long as you use them sparingly. They’re a great way to smooth down frizz and add some extra definition to wavy or curly hair.
Mousse is very versatile and can help you to create and hold any hair style, from glamourous tresses and textured beach waves to sleek ponytails and messy up-dos.
What is the Best Mousse for Curly Hair?
A good hair mousse for curly hair is one that will enhance your natural curl pattern while calming frizz and conditioning your locks to prevent dryness. Moroccanoil Curl Control Mousse is specially designed to help curly girls take control of their gorgeous locks.
This styling foam uses Argan Oil and proteins to deeply moisturise curls while strengthening them to enhance elasticity and prevent breakage. It tames and defines even the tightest of curls with no crunchy texture and provides long-lasting hold for hours.
The Whip It Good Styling Mousse by evo is another top choice. This mousse works to seal cuticles for frizz-free curls while providing humidity control. It’s also vegan and free from sulphates and parabens which makes it excellent for those with coloured hair. Pro tip: When drying your hair, use a diffuser to shape your curls without flattening them for the most volume and definition!
Hairhouse stocks a wide range of mousse hair products for every hair type. We have hair mousse for women and hair mousse for men by all of your favourite brands at the best prices. From the best volumizing mousse for curly hair to the best mousse for fine hair – find them all online now with free delivery on orders over $50 in Australia or let us assist you at your nearest store.