All About Scalp Treatments
What are Scalp Treatments?
Scalp treatments are hair care products made specifically to treat stressed hair and scalps. The range of hair treatments for scalp care is wide and can include everything from shampoos and conditioners, hair oils, serums, hair balms, and scalp sprays.
There are itchy scalp treatments to relieve redness and irritation, dry scalp treatments to eradicate dandruff, hair growth products to stimulate the scalp and reduce hair loss, and much more. The ultimate goal of any scalp treatment is to repair, moisturise, and relieve scalps for healthy, long-term hair care.
Are Scalp Treatments Good for Your Hair?
Scalp treatments are designed to put moisture back into the scalp and deeply rehydrate dry hair. As such, they are loaded with incredible natural oils and botanical extracts that are bursting with nutrients and healthy fats full of vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants to soothe and heal.
Argan oil is a major ingredient in many scalp treatments and is the star ingredient in every Moroccanoil product. It’s very rich in fatty acids which deeply nourish hair while its high vitamin E content provides a fatty layer to the scalp that protects it against redness and dryness.
Essential oils, such as lavender, jojoba, and evening primrose oil, are also largely used to cleanse scalps and remove debris that can cause itchiness and irritation. Tea tree oil is an excellent ingredient in scalp treatments as it has both antiseptic and anti-fungal properties. It can unclog and disinfect pores to promote hair growth and can be used to relieve itchiness, redness, and dryness associated with dandruff, eczema, psoriasis, and other skin conditions.
Not only do these beauties cleanse and heal, but they also leave your hair smelling beautifully fresh and fragrant!
Do Scalp Treatments Work?
Yes, many people swear by scalp treatments to fix a multitude of scalp conditions. The best scalp treatment for you will depend on the problem you are wanting to target. Here’s a quick rundown:
1. Do you have a dry and flaky scalp? A scalp treatment for dandruff can help. The Moroccanoil dry scalp treatment relieves a dry and flaky scalp with Argan Oil, Essential Oils, and Salicylic Acid to gently exfoliate and rebalance the scalp to reduce flakiness. If you have psoriasis or eczema, De Lorenzo Tricho Scalp Treatment Balm uses certified organic ingredients to remove dead skin cells and can be left on overnight to relieve scaliness, itchiness, and dryness.
2. Kérastase scalp treatments offer easy-to-use hair programs that can relieve a range of scalp problems. The Spécifique Cure Anti-Chute can promote denser hair and prevent hair loss over 6 weeks, while the Spécifique Cure Apaisante can relieve itchiness and irritation at home over the course of 4 weeks.
3. For the ultimate hair treatment for hair growth, Nioxin scalp treatment has been formulated using microdermabrasion technology to turn back the clock and create the optimum scalp environment for growing new hair. It gently exfoliates the scalp and hair to regenerate the scalp’s skin and revitalise it.
4. If you’re suffering from too much oil and your pores are clogged with product build-up, De Lorenzo Essential Treatments Absolute Deep Cleanser Shampoo is an oily scalp treatment that can absorb excess sebum and remove residue that is weighing down your hair. Organic rosehip extract and oat peptides are also used to moisturise and protect against damage.
5. For men, Goldwell Dualsenses Activating Scalp Treatment re-energises hair with guarana and caffeine while cooling and refreshing the scalp.
How do You Apply a Scalp Treatment?
How you apply your treatment will depend on whether you have a spray, cream, serum, gel, or something else. It’s important to follow the instructions on your scalp treatment product to make sure you get optimal results.
Nioxin is one of our most popular scalp treatments at Hairhouse and the brand is well-known for its anti-aging hair care treatments. The Dermabrasion Treatment accelerates the regeneration of the scalp for healthier skin that promotes hair growth. To use it, follow these easy steps:
1. Use a comb to divide your hair into four sections
2. Starting with the first section, place the applicator tip directly onto the scalp and apply one section at a time
3. Once the scalp is covered, outline the hair while avoiding contact with the eyes
4. Massage the product gently into the scalp for 1 minute
5. Leave in for 10 minutes before rinsing thoroughly
6. You can get the best results by following up with your preferred Nioxin 3 Part System
How Often Should You Use a Scalp Treatment?
It really depends on whether you are treating a scalp condition or simply trying to maintain an already healthy scalp. If you have a condition such as dandruff, psoriasis, or eczema, it is recommended that you use a scalp treatment once a week to help you control the symptoms. Daily use of anti-dandruff shampoo isn’t advised as it can risk making the scalp drier and causing more flakiness. If your scalp is normal and you want to keep it that way, a scalp treatment once or twice a month can help you to keep a clean scalp that’s moisturised and free from dandruff and excess oil.
Are Scalp Treatments Necessary?
Just like you would exfoliate and moisturise your skin, your scalp also needs some TLC! A regular scalp scrub can help to remove dead skin cells that can clog pores and inhibit hair growth and work wonders to clear build-up caused by a multitude of styling products, including hair spray, hair mousse, wax, and more.
By doing this, you can help to minimise dandruff, prevent hair thinning, soothe redness and itchiness, and balance oil secretions for silky hair and a healthy scalp. Most treatments also require you to massage your scalp which is a fantastic way to stimulate the hair follicles for thicker hair growth.
Hairhouse has all of the most trusted brands in scalp care, including Davroe, Alfaparfe, Kérastase, Nioxin, and Moroccanoil. Discover them today with free shipping over $50 when you shop online or locate your nearest Hairhouse and let our team help you pick the right product for you!