Colour Care Shampoo
All About Colour Care Shampoo
What is the Best Shampoo for Coloured Hair?
When it comes to hair care for colour treated locks, Hairhouse have you covered. From curly and coarse hair to dry, damaged, and straight – we have a shampoo to suit every hair condition and help you get the most out of any colour. Shop our top products for:
1. Blonde hair – We’ve got all the purple shampoo you need to keep blonde, bleached, and dyed grey hair looking fresh and cool without brassiness. Shop De Lorenzo Novafusion Silver, Kérastase Blond Absolu Bain Ultraviolet, Muk Blonde Toning Shampoo, FanolaNo Orange Shampoo, and Sexy Hair SF Bright Blonde Shampoo.
2. Dry scalps – Dyeing your hair can dry out your scalp and cause dandruff. Keep the flakes at bay with an anti-dandruff shampoo for coloured hair, such as Paul Mitchell Tea Tree Special Colour and Shu Uemura Art of Hair Color Lustre Shampoo with no sulphates or parabens to soothe, cleanse and balance itchy scalps.
3. Fine hair – A good clarifying shampoo for coloured hair can help to remove excess sebum and product build-up and leave hair feeling fuller and lighter. Try the Paul Mitchell Clarifying Shampoo Two with wheat-derived conditioners or BiolageRAW Color Care Shampoo with coconut milk and meadowfoam to restore coloured hair and add shine and softness.
Can You Use Colour-Treated Shampoo on Normal Hair?
Yes, coloured treated shampoo is a safe shampoo to use on natural hair of all hair types. Shampoos for hair colour protection are gentler on hair than normal shampoos so that they can avoid stripping the colour from locks with harsh ingredients. Many will also contain botanicals to provide moisture and add shine. Shampoo for coloured hair can enhance your natural shade and give it more depth and richness.
What is the Best Shampoo for Copper Coloured Hair?
Red and copper hair is notoriously difficult to maintain its vibrancy as it fades faster than any other hair colour. To keep your smoking hot copper locks looking intense and healthily hydrated, you should try using shampoo and conditioner that’s designed for coloured red hair.
Our range of De Lorenzo colour protecting shampoos offer a variety of options for redheads of every shade. Try the De Lorenzo Novafusion in Intense Red, Fire Red or Cherry Red – all made to enhance red to orange hair and prevent colour fading. They’re also infused with a truckload of botanicals to condition your strands and protect them from UV damage.
How Do You Keep Colour-Treated Hair from Fading?
No matter what colour you dye your hair, you’ll need to make sure you look after it properly if you want the colour to last longer than a couple of weeks. A lot of different factors can make hair dyes fade fast, including hot water, chlorine, sun exposure and using your hair dryer,straighteners, and curling wands too often. Luckily, there are a few things you can do to prolong your colour’s shine and vibrancy:
1. Wait for 72hrs after dyeing your hair before you wash it. This will give the cuticle layers time to close and for the colour to soak into the hair so that it won’t wash out so easily.
2. Use a sulfate-free shampoo for coloured hair. A shampoo that contains sulfates can quickly strip your hair of its colour, as well as its natural oils and moisture.
3. Hot water can open the hair cuticles and send your colour down the drain. Wash with warm water, then rinse with cold water to help seal in the moisture and prevent fading.
4. Don’t wash your hair so often. Try washing 2-3 times a week to retain your hair’s natural oils and keep the colour fresh. If you start getting greasy hair, use a dry shampoo for coloured hair that will leave your hair feeling clean and refreshed.
5. Use a leave-in treatment. Hair dyes can leave your hair feeling dry and brittle. Keep it moisturised with a leave-in conditioner, hair oil or hair mask that’s also a UV protectant that can help to prevent fading from the sun.
Can You Use Normal Shampoo for Colour-Treated Hair?
If you want to keep your gorgeous colour vibrant and shiny for as long as possible, you should always use a colour care shampoo. These shampoos have been specially formulated to prevent dyed hair from fading and work to intensify the hue. Shampoos for coloured hair are also typically infused with nourishing botanicals and butters to restore any moisture lost during dyeing and minimise breakage and split ends.
How Often Should You Shampoo Colour-Treated Hair?
You can help to prevent your colour from fading fast by not washing your hair as often. Try to limit washes to 2-3 times a week and use a dry shampoo in between to keep your locks fresh. To use coloured shampoo, follow these steps:
1. Squeeze a small amount of product into your palm and apply to hair
2. Massage into the scalp and the strands, ensuring each section is thoroughly coated
3. Wait around 5 minutes to give the shampoo time to soak in. You can leave in longer for additional intensity
4. Rinse thoroughly and follow up with a conditioner for colour treated hair
5. Always remember to use a heat protectant spray before using hot styling tools to protect your colour from heat damage and fading
Hairhouse stocks all your favourite brands for keeping coloured hair looking fabulously vivid and healthy. Shop our range of De Lorenzo shampoo for coloured hair, Kérastase shampoo for coloured hair, L'Oréal Professionnel shampoo for coloured hair, Paul Mitchell, Matrix, Redken and much more.
We’ve also got a huge range of colour treatments to shake up your look, including semi-permanent and permanent hair colours, toners, bleach, and root touch-ups. Shop online now with free postage over $50 or visit your nearest Hairhouse store.